Tuesday, January 12, 2010

on safari. in the cretaceous period.

So, last time Ali went to Africa, I sent her with very particular instructions. The conversation went like this:

Ali: Ha! I'm going to Africa, because my job is awesome.
Me: *jealous face *
Ali: Can I get you anything? You know, while I'm in AFRICA?
Me: I want a baby elephant.
Ali: Okay. I'll see what they have.

So anyhow, when she got back, Ali gave me a container of "magic beans," which you are supposed to throw into the tub and watch expand into cute little creatures. Observe:


And once they are all expanded out of their magical beans, if you are the target audience for such a product,* you stick them on the walls of your bath/shower thusly:


So there I am, looking at all the recognizable shapes -- lions, dolphins, monkeys, giraffes -- when I realize there is one I cannot name. I recognize the silhouette, but have no idea what it could be.

So I stared at it for a few minutes, and then it hit me.


That is TOTALLY A TRICERATOPS.


Did you know these were still alive in Africa? Because I didn't. And I can tell you right now I would be way more likely to book my next big trip to Africa if I knew we'd be going all Jurassic Park on that shit. Man.


But I digress. The moral of the story, folks, is that Ali likes us. In fact, she did get me a baby elephant, after all:


Well done, Ali. Well done, indeed.

Hope you're enjoying Ethiopia!
Stephanie

* IE, someone typically between ages 2 and 5, or in this case, one very infantilized grad student.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, those are way more awesome than I imagined. And you can stick them to the wall. And I like how tactfully you used the phrase "when she got back" instead of the phrase "several months later, when I came to visit". Nice.

    ReplyDelete